Ruling Elder Resources
These resources for Ruling Elders are helpful for pastors training sessions as well as for self study by Teaching and Ruling Elders. Let us know if you have similar resources you’d like to share!
- Theocademy – This is the gold standard for general training for Elders and Deacons in the PCUSA. If you haven’t seen these yet, now’s a good time!
- Coming Alive in Christ – Official training of the PC(USA) for Ruling Elders based on the constitutional questions that we answer when ordained.
- Basics of Reformed Theology – Cynthia L. Rigby of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary covers the basics of what it means to be “part of the Reformed tradition”.
- The Session Ref – An amusing video ideal for teaching proper session communication.
- The Elder’s Handbook – A written guide for Ruling Elders for a particular church.
- Making Disciples, Making Leaders – Books by Steve Eason on leadership development in the Presbyterian Church.
- PC(USA) Basics – Powerpoint that you can use as a basis for a simple “what is the PC(USA) system” style of presentation.
- 2019-2021 Book of Order – No Presbyterian officer is fully equipped without one!
- Church Treasurer’s Manual – A very thorough treatment of church finances (maybe too thorough!).
- Clerk of Session Training Page – If you’re new to being a clerk of session, this page has everything you’ll need to figure out what you’re doing.